June 26, 2024

Just Before the Fourth

The black-purple fists of the iris,
Which I watched grow on scores of April dog walks,
Have turned to dried tea bags,
Brittle scraps of panty hose
Feeding the seed below.

This is the first time I'm 65,
And time passes so quickly.
The uneven yards are a little difficult
To walk on, and I've used Duff's 35 pounds
As ballast on the steep embankments.

I only remember first dates
Ferocious mornings in bed, afternoons shopping,
Dinners without booze. But
The middle years have fallen from my memory, collapsed
Onto themselves like a ruined cakethe center did not hold.

Now I say "I don't care" instead of the Lord's Prayer,
Or whatever all that was I repeated, kneeling
Below my grandmother's high bed, her beside me.
I can't memorize snatches of Beethoven anymore:
Only bits of movie dialog. I would like to have been

An actor: my excellent mimicry, my flawless perception
Of flawed personalities, my modest intellect absorbing
Quirks and grimaces instead of current events, delighting in
Not understanding. As if resentment were a museeyes closed,
Palms over my ears, I have memorized you. Never change.

I can't believe the fourth is nearly here already. I'm still
Enjoying spring. The iris came and went like the postman,
And the peonies are dropping their spears, little pink cocktail stirs
All over the ground; the full moons jostle for celebrity. Summer
Will bring its fruit, but can I beat the birds to it—before they fly south?

No comments: