May 23, 2011

Fresh Canvas

After infatuations with C.S. Lewis and Virginia Woolf, the poet Robert Lowell became my favorite writer and remained so for the rest of my life. His 1959 ground-breaking book "Life Studies" was at once a perfect fit for my (many) expressions and experiences, both painting and writing. 
     Just as in college I was unable to paint or to draw without my subject directly before me, so as an adult I cannot create fiction. In order for me to write, I must be talking about something I know, something I witnessed--something from real life. So I return to blogging, always admiring my Internet friend Alex Gildzen's long-standing blog, mainly about poetry and the movies. 
     This new blog, like the last one (that no one knew about!), will exist to help me write larger pieces but will not be so formal as the last one. Like Alex, I may just steal here to write a few lines ... thoughts that are increasingly absent from my Facebook account. Though I crave an audience, my weaknesses make me increasingly silent among my friends. If I speak now, it is not directly into their feeds. They may come here if they wish. 
     These are my own "life studies."

No comments: